Rawhide Cycles Electronic Ignition for 1936-1969 Harley-Davidson Big Twins
- Manufactured to meet exhausting standards with a combined 6 years of research and development; fits seamlessly into your vintage motorcycle
- The pickups aka triggers (the brain of this unit) are manufactured exclusively by Charlie's Place in Los Angeles, CA
- Designed for proper fit, and complimentary aesthetic – no ‘black box’ or special modification necessary for installation
- Custom ignition distributor with clockwise operating automatic advance mechanism. Fitment permits the use of Rawhide Cycles ignition systems. For adjustment simply turn the baseplate as on late style ignition systems. 2-bolt mounting base.
- Improves performance and reliability
- Replaces antiquated points & condensers with new state-of-the-art technology that produces strong, consistent spark for easier starting, better acceleration, and a noticeably smoother ride
- Thoroughly tested for durability and longevity – withstands excessive heat and vibration
- Each unit is hand-assembled and inspected here in our shop
- Pickups are adjustable for perfect timing
- Uses stock advancer. Our rotor is the exact weight of the stock rotor, so the timing will advance mechanically as intended
- Thorough installation instructions provided with purchase, as well as phone and email tech support
IMPORTANT: You may want to upgrade your mechanical advancer. You can purchase an American Prime stainless advancer HERE. In most cases, we have found the American Prime advancer improves performance, and smooth idles.
- Remove the point cover.
- Remove the two standoff screws holding the point plate to the engine. Unplug the wire going to the points and remove point/plate assembly.
- Remove the bolt holding the spark advance assembly to the engine and remove the assembly.
- Remove the point cam from the advance assembly.
- Coat the advance assembly shaft lightly with oil. Slip the magnetic rotor over the shaft. Push the rotor down until it engages the weights on the advance assembly (it will only go on one way). Ensure that the rotor rotates freely·on the shaft as the advance weights move out and back. ·
- Install your new advance/rotor assembly on the engine making sure the pin on the advance assembly is engaged in the slot on the engine. Install the bolt and tighten. Ensure that the rotor is still free to rotate.
- Remove the wires that connected the points and ignition coil.
- Install the new Rawhide Cycles ignition assembly using the two standoffs previously removed, and tighten. The plate should be oriented so that the large power module is at 12 o'clock or 3 o'clock, depending on the model.
- Route the wiring from the ignition assembly out of the hole in the engine case and over to the ignition coil, being careful to avoid the exhaust system.
- Use the supplied wires with the kit to extend to the coil from the ignition wires if needed.
- The 12 volt wire from the ignition/key switch is connected to one side of of the coil. Connect the black wire to that same end of the coil.
- Connect the blue wire to the other end of the coil.
- This completes the wiring and installation. Make sure that all connections are secure.